Describe a place where you can read and write (SEPTEMBER to DECEMBER 2019)
Describe a place where you can read and write.
You should say:
- where this place is?
- how do you know about this place?
- what you do there?
and explain why you think it is a good place for reading and writing.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
In my rooftop, I usually perform my reading and writing tasks. The place is just above my room in which house I live in Chandigarh.
My grandfather established the house and hence the house is old fashioned. But that has become a blessing for me. Due to the fact that it is an old-fashioned house, there are lots of empty spaces there. The house owns a large garden and a spacious rooftop located on the third floor. With the permission of my parents and other family members, I have made a room of my own at the roof and use that only for study. The surrounding environment is beautiful and the windows allow me to look at the bright sky whenever I come to the room for reading or writing purposes. The room is located in a corner of the roof so that the other people could use the roof for their respective purposes. Thereby, now I am grateful to my grandfather for making the house in an antique style.
When I was a kid, I was sent to a boarding school. During the vacations, I used to visit home for two or three weeks. It was a daily routine for me to play with my cousins in the garden. Often we played hide and seek whereas the roof was the perfect place to hide. Gradually, when I grew up and left my school, I thought that the roof would be a nice place for me to set a reading room where I can pass my days and nights. Accordingly, I took initiatives. The rooftop was large in size and it was empty entirely. So, I planned to make a small garden and a room for me. But I also applied conditions that the room would be opened for all and at any time of the day. Thus, everyone agreed with my proposal.
When I come to the small room on the roof, I feel better. It helps me to feel myself. The room has a small desk with a chair, a rocker, a bed, a personal computer, and a bookshelf. Sometimes I read books sitting in the rocking chair and often I lie on the bed if I feel sleepy during the book reading hours. Often I write on the desk using pens and papers. The bookshelf has a vast collection. Most of the books belong to my father and grandfather. I read books on different subjects as there are books on history, novel, adventure and more others. Often my cousins come here to enjoy movies and I also accompany them.
This is like small heaven for me. I can see the entire sky when I come here. The bustles of a city are absent here. The entire environment is peaceful here. When the flower plants spread a wild smell, it makes me amazed. Besides, during the moonlit night, the environment turns wonderful and reading becomes easier. I can pay attention to my studies on such nights and the surrounding environment also enables me to write several literary pieces. I try reading books at the daytimes and during the midday, it appears that I am alone in this universe for the unimaginable silence. Usually, I write at night and my writing table becomes flooded with the light of the moon. In a word reading and writing in this room is a heavenly experience for me.
Model Answer 2:
The library is the best place for me to read and write. In fact, I use the library facility of the University of Science, Malaysia. This is the perfect venue for me to complete my academic activities. Thank you for this great question. I am really feeling proud to have the chance of answering the question.
The library is on the university campus. This is one of the enriched libraries in the country and contains a huge number of books on diversified issues. Only the students are allowed to use the library facility. Besides, the environment inside is also outstanding. Everyone is busy with their respective activities. Either they are reading or they are writing but in silent mode.
I was unaware of the library facility of the university. So, after I was admitted to the university, I was seeking a suitable place for me to focus on my study. I could have done it in my own room but it there was some technical issues. I had to share the room with two other mates and it was not possible for me to provide the right amount of attention to my studies. Thereby, I was looking for a suitable place. One day, while I was reading in the classroom after the class, one of my classmates told me about the library. He took me there and I came to know about the place.
Usually, I pass the day inside the library. I am in love with the place. There are lots of books and other reading materials. A notable number of students are always there to study and complete their other academic activities. In line with the other students, I have become a regular one to move to the library after the class. If I do not have anything to do, I pass my times by reading books inside the library. Besides, this is the place where I can find the peace of mind. Passing times with books helps me to understand myself. I can focus on my studies. I also use some reference books to get support for my assignments and much more. All the things are highly beneficial for me.
This is a very good place for reading and writing. First of all, this is a library where you can have the required silence. In some other places, the favourable condition to study is not available. Besides, you also can have the chances to explore books of various writers and interest. You do not need to buy books for each of your subject or course. Moreover, you can take the books home as well in case of necessity. Considering all the matters, I think a library is a perfect place for reading, writing or performing other academic activities.
Idea Generation for this Cue Card Topic:
Cue Card: Describe a place where you can read and write.
1. Well, reading and writing are not possible everywhere, as it needs some quiet place. I am lucky to have one – my bedroom. This is the perfect place for me to study. My bedroom is in the south corner of the house and thus a quiet one indeed. Actually, I had no idea that it would be a nice place for this purpose. Moreover, none is allowed to disturb me while I am in the room. This is also a good place for me as I have installed some music system. I play some slow music which helps me to focus on my study have the concentration for a long.
2. The college library is the best place for me to study. The library is on the sixth floor of the college building here in South Korea. I had no idea that I could use the place for this purpose. One of my classmates suggested me the place when I seek her advice. I usually come here in the morning and focus on my studies. This is a good place indeed for reading and making notes. The entire place is filled with calmness and the students really enjoy here when they come.
3. My dad has a small study room on the ground floor of the house we live in Mysore. This is a nice place to read and write. I have seen my dad study here and write some papers. He reads different types of books and I have also developed the habit. Whenever I get a chance, I visit the study room and read books or magazines. If I need to do some assignments, I use this place. The study room has some special features. So, I feel comfortable to be there.
4. While my last visit to Brussels, I found a public library a good place for reading. The place is suitable for writing too. There are separate places to read and write for the visitors. I went to the city for some business and spend at least an hour every day in the library. Actually, the library has some charms that attract visitors. The seating arrangements were adorable and the collections of books were spectacular. This is really a great place for reading, I think, for the extraordinary environment it offers.
5. I went to meet a friend in a coffee shop here in France and found this was a nice place for reading. The place was calm and everyone was busy with their meals and newspapers. So, there were no disturbances. Once I was there, I read a book to kill some time and enjoyed the moments. I think this is a good place as nobody will annoy you when you are there. Moreover, you can stay there as long as you want. Taking a corner seat is the best for this purpose.
If you can talk about the cue card topic “Describe a place where you can read and write.” you should be able to talk about the following IELTS cue card topics as well:
- Describe a place where you like to spend your time.
- Describe your favourite place.
- Describe a library.
- Describe your study room.
- Describe a quiet place you know about