IELTS Writing Task 2 : Crime Reasons & Cause/Solution Essay of Band 8.0 – Juvenile Delinquency
IELTS Writing Task 2: Crime Reasons & Cause/Solution Essay of Band 8.0 – Juvenile Delinquency
IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic
In some countries, a high proportion of criminal acts are committed by teenagers. Why has this happened? What can be done to deal with this?
Band 8.0 Sample Essay
Today, youth crime is rife. Theft, burglary, or even murder are now committed by people of younger and younger ages. The aim of this essay is to investigate the factors responsible for the increase in juvenile delinquency and put forward a number of ways to appropriately punish young offenders.
It is observed that extreme behaviours are exhibited by most children from dysfunctional families. Without supervision from parents or caregivers, children’s extreme behaviours such as aggression, hostility or defiance are given free rein to develop in their later lives. In addition, there is a direct correlation between the lack of engagement in educational activities and serious criminal offending in children. Out of boredom, children befriend with antisocial peers and will gradually copy their behaviours. Media also plays an enormous role in shaping children’s criminality. For example, games such as grand theft auto can desensitise younger players to extreme acts of violence and cruelty, encourage them to commit crimes while giving them the impression that it is morally acceptable to do so.
Imprisonment is often cited as a way to punish juvenile offenders. However, it is my view that this approach can produce extremely destructive effects. The youth can potentially be victims of physical or sexual abuse from older prisoners, as well as can adopt their negative behaviours. I feel that the better cure for young criminals is rehabilitation. Throughout education and training, the youth can realise their wrongful actions and be given opportunities to turn over a new leaf and transform themselves into useful members of society later in life.
There are reasons to explain why today antisocial behavior among the youth nowadays has reached a historically unprecedented high and rehabilitation is the answer for this.
Useful Words and Expressions :
- Youth crime is rife: Youth crime is very common.
- Juvenile delinquency: act of crime committed by the young
- Defiance (n.): behaviour in which you refuse to obey others
- Aggression (n.): behaviour that is threatening or involves harm
- To be given free rein to develop: go uncontrolled.
- Desensitise (v.): cause people to experience emotion less strongly than before.
- Out of boredom: Because they are bored
- To produce extremely destructive effects: have bad results.
- Wrongful actions: Actions which are unfair and illegal
- To turn over a new leaf: To become another person.
- Rehabilitation (n.): the act of returning someone to a good condition, normal life.
Here are some related topics for you to practice:
- The problem of juvenile delinquency is increasing day by day. What are the reasons for this? Suggest a few solutions.
- It is often thought that the increase in juvenile crime can be attributed to violence in the media. What do you think is the reason for this phenomenon? Suggest some measures to combat this problem.
- In many countries, the age of criminals is getting lower. Provide reasons for this problem, along with solutions. Support your arguments with examples.
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Direct question essay
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors