Describe an interesting discussion you had about how you spend your money (IELTS CUE CARD)
Describe an interesting discussion you had about how you spend your money.
You should say:
- who you had the discussion with
- why you discussed this topic
- what the result of the discussion was
and explain why this discussion was interesting for you.
[ You will have to talk about this topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
I always wanted to spend my money according to my choice but the recent discussion about spending money had changed my earlier concept. I had a fruitful discussion with Mr. John, a senior professor at my college in Delhi. He teaches computers at the graduate level and a man of letters. He believed that people should have money in the head, not in the heart. Money is only a tool. But it will not make the things done until someone uses it correctly. Overall, it was a pleasant discussion with him.
Mr. John was taking a class about spending and saving money. In fact, he owned some beliefs. He never spent money before having that. So, he was talking to the class about money management. After the class, I went to meet him and he explained everything to me. I wanted to justify the way I was spending money on myself. Mr. John explained the issues one after another and I was simply impressed with his ideas.
After lots of arguments, I admitted that I made mistakes in money management. He advised me to never lose money. Actually, I used to spend unnecessarily. And I told him the matters to get some good suggestions. In the end, I got a different insight. I decided to cut my coat according to my clothes. And also pledged to be careful in the future about money management.
The discussion attracted me for its nature. I was unfamiliar with the ways of savings. And after the detail estimation, it was evident that I was in the wrong direction. Accordingly, I started following his advice and find everything right with me. Interestingly, I did the opposite things that Mr. John suggested to me this time.
Related Ideas to talk about this Cue Card:
1. I had an interesting discussion with Ms. Sofia. I am an investor here in Mumbai and she is my financial advisor. I needed some suggestions on planning for an investment at a foreign company. The result of the discussion was effective for me. She asked me to record my previous expenses and then calculate the amount I have for the investment. I felt interested in her advice and it proved effective for me.
2. Spending money is hard if you do not have a budget. So, I have a conversation about it with a friend named Gemini. He is a lawyer in Delhi and works for the government too. I discussed it with him for a few reasons. He gave me some valuable suggestions about the necessity of the budget. I was not aware of them before. The discussion was interesting as it changed my ideas and beliefs about spending money. In fact, I got some new insights.
3. Saving money is a good habit and I got some ideas about it. I had a small discussion with Maria about saving money and spending it. Actually, I needed to know about the exact process to spend money. Finally, I got the ideas to save them and spend them later. It was an interesting discussion because she came up with the ideas to save money first before spending them. I just followed her advice and it proved beneficial to me.
4. While spending money, I was unable to set my priorities. So, I used to spend unnecessarily. My wife Samantha had helped me greatly in this case. I just wanted to set my priorities about spending money on things I need. Later, she came up with some innovative ideas that I was unfamiliar with before the discussion. Thereby, it was an effective discussion with her and we laughed a lot about the spending issues. It was interesting indeed.
5. Before the discussion with Mr. Raman, I used to spend a lot on things regardless of my necessity. So, I was in debt. And needed some useful tips for me. He gave me some instructions on how to cut costs and save money. It was greatly useful to me. the discussion was interesting for some reason. I pointed out some specific issues that he made me focus on.
6. Recently I had an effective discussion with my elder sister, Rosy. She advised me about spending money on different issues. In fact, I fell in some bank debts for using my credit cards. So, I needed some effective solutions for this problem. She advised me to reduce the use of credit cards and spend in cash. Interestingly, my expenses were reduced to a remarkable extent. The conversation was interesting and she explained how credit cards allure us to spend more.
Subscribe To FREE IELTS Material and Updates
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
A Big Thank you for joining Us!
Similar other cue card topics for self-preparation:
1. Describe an interesting conversation with someone you did not know before.
2. Describe an interesting discussion you had with one of your friends.
3. Describe something you learn from a conversation you had with someone.