Complex sentences are fascinating components of the English language. When used properly, they can add depth to our writing. Complex sentences contain an independent clause and at least one dependent clause.
An independent clause has the ability to stand alone as a sentence. It always makes a complete thought. A dependent clause cannot stand alone, even though it has a subject and a verb.
When an independent and a dependent clause join together to form a complex sentence, they can go in either order.
Here’s an example where the independent clause comes first:
- I was snippy with him because I was running late for work.
Here’s an example where the dependent clause comes first:
- Because I was running late for work, I was snippy with him
Common Complex Sentence Examples
Let’s take a look at some common complex sentence examples pertaining to everyday life. In each example, the independent clause is underlined.
- Because my coffee was too cold, I heated it in the microwave.
- Although he was wealthy, he was still unhappy.
- She returned the computer after she noticed it was damaged.
- Whenever prices goes up, customers buy less products.
- Because I had to catch the train, and as we were short on time, I forgot to pack my toothbrush for our vacation.
- As she was bright and ambitious, she became a manager in no time.
- Wherever you go, you can always find beauty.
- Evergreen trees are a symbol of fertility because they do not die in the winter.
- Although it was very long, the movie was still enjoyable.
- You should take your car in for a service because it’s starting to make weird noises.
- The actor was happy he got a part in a movie even though the part was small.
- After the tornado hit, there was very little left standing.
- The museum was very interesting, as I expected.
- Now that he’s rich and famous, people make allowances for his idiosyncrasies.
- Even though he’s thoroughly trained, he still makes a lot of mistakes.
- Since winter is coming, I think I’ll knit a warm sweater, because I’m always cold.
- When she was younger, she believed in fairy tales.
- I have to save this coupon in case I come back to the store tomorrow.
- Let’s go back to Chez Nous because it’s where we had our first date.
- Although my friends begged me, I chose not to go to the reunion.
- As genes change over time, evolution progresses.
- I really didn’t like the movie even though the acting was good.
- When he got a creampie smashed in his face, everyone laughed.
- After being apart for years, he still had feelings for her.