Mind-blowing facts about the English language
- The English language is the only language in the world that capitalises the word ‘I’. Importance of self is very prominent in the English language.
- The longest word in the English language is “Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis” and the second longest is “hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia”.
- “I am/go” is the shortest complete sentence in the English Language.
- The word “Uncopyrightable” is the longest English word in normal use that contains no letter more than once.
- Only 3 words in the English language end in ‘ceed’: proceed, succeed and exceed.
- The dot on the top of the letter ‘i’ is called a “tittle”.
- There are more English words beginning with the letter ‘S’ than with any other letter.
- The word “Bookkeeper” and “Bookkeeping” are the only 2 words in the English language with 3 consecutive sets of double letters.
- ‘Sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick’ is said to be the toughest tongue twister in English.
- Of all the words in the English language, the word “set” has the most definitions.
- Approximately, one new word is added to the English language every two hours.
- “Underground” is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters ‘Und’.
- In numbers, there are no “Bs” until “billion”. It’s hard to believe, but if you wrote out every single number in order, you wouldn’t use the letter “B” until you reached the word “billion”. There isn’t a single “B” in the first 999,999,999 numbers in English. Also, there is no letter A in any number until 1,000 (one thousand).
- English is the language of the air. This means that all pilots have to identify themselves and speak in English while flying, regardless of their origin.
- The English language has been developing for more than 1,400 years.
Subscribe To Our NewsletterJoin our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.