Describe a goal that you achieved, which was set by yourself (IELTS CUE CARD Jan to Apr 2020)
You should say:
- What it was
- When did you set it
- How did you achieve it
- Explain how it influenced your life
- I don’t think I have a strong willpower and many times I set have set goals but failed to achieve them.
- But last to last year, I made a new year’s resolution and I made sure I completed it.
- In 2018, I took my board exams and I unfortunately I spent a lot of time sitting at home for two to three months.
- Because of the lack of physical activity, I gained 5 kgs of weight in those months.
- Due to the weight gain, I also lost confidence and stopped talking to my friends.
- Thus, I started staying indoor and I gained even more weight.
- So, at the beginning of 2019 I decided to lose all the weight that I gained and regain my confidence.
- I mainly did three things to achieve it.
- First, I joined a gym and stayed regular with it.
- Every day I used to wake up at 6 AM and go to the gym.
- I spent about 45 mins to 1 hour at the gym.
- The second thing I did was to control and manage my diet.
- I stopped eating sweets and packaged products.
- This was really hard for I love sweets.
- It was especially hard to give up on chocolates.
- The last thing I did was to sleep on time.
- I could only be regular with the gym if I woke up on time and that meant I needed to sleep on time.
- Earlier I had the habit of binge-watching TV shows and so I used to stay up late at night.
- I used to wake up just very late and thus if I did that, I would never have been able to go to the gym.
- I didn’t stop watching TV shows, I just made sure I watched only 1 episode every day.
- My gym trainer also told me that proper eight hours of sleep for muscles to regenerate and heal so sleeping on time was very important.
- After three months of this schedule, I was finally able to lose all that weight.
- Doing this made me really confident and I started going out and meeting my friends again.
- Do people need to write down goals or simply memorize them?
Well I live to write down my goals. It just provides that extra motivation in that weak moment or when we are having a bad day and we feel like giving up.
- Do Indian people usually set goals.
Yes, many Indian people do. In fact, I remember on 1st of January a lot of my friends and I share our new year goals and resolutions.
- Should parents set goals for children?
I think parents should motivate children to keep goals, but I don’t think parents should themselves keep the goals. Because I think if children don’t keep the goals, they won’t have the same level of motivation to fulfill them.
- When do young people start setting goals for themselves?
I think there is no fixed age. It all depends upon the persons maturity and level of responsibility. Some people start keeping goals at a very early age like at twelve or thirteen, while others start keeping goals after reaching adulthood. Goal setting is much more about self-fulfillment and making oneself better and this realization to make oneself better sometimes come early and sometimes late.
- What are the kinds of goals that are unrealistic?
I think goals which are in tune with a person’s personality are realistic. I mean if I decide to do something which would require me to make a drastic change in my personality, I would not be able to achieve it. So that would be unrealistic for me.
- Do young people and old people have different kinds of goals? What are they?
I think both yes and no. Yes, in the sense that young people goals are more about achieving something in life, while goals for old people are about helping their young achieve their goals in life. No because sometimes goals can be similar too, for example see both young and old trying to lose weight and look smart in the gyms.
- What is more fulfilling working towards a goal or achieving it?
I think both are fulfilling in their own sense. Working towards a goal is about meeting and overcoming challenges, it is about failing and getting back up. Finally, achieving a goal brings a feeling and that efforts did make a difference. However, if we didn’t struggle to achieve something, neither the work we put in nor the final goal brings in fulfillment.
- Do you think it’s important to have realistic goals?
I think being realistic has its own advantages and disadvantages. Its advantageous because if the goals are unrealistic it is very easy to give up and believe that it was not possible in the first place.It’s also harmful in the sense that we never test our limits. We never try to go beyond. So, I generally set goals to just beyond realistic.
What are the 3 types of goals?
There are 3 types of goals: Outcome goals, process goals, and performance goals. Each of the 3 types differs based on how much control we have over it. We have the most control over process goals and the least control over outcome goals. Outcome goals (Results).
What are the five steps to goal setting?
- Step 1: Define What You Want.
- Step 2: Find Congruence.
- Step 3: Do an Ecology Check.
- Step 4: Develop a Blueprint.
- Step 5: Drawing Up a Plan of Action.
Why is goal setting important?
While the process of goal setting is important because it helps unearth and identify what’s truly important to you, pursuing your goals is the real money-maker (literally and figuratively) because it builds self-efficacy; it develops yourself as the type of person who can achieve goals. … Start with goal setting
What are your goals in life?
What exactly are life goals? Simply put, they’re the things you would like to accomplish in your life. Life goals are the big things to work for and accomplish such as getting married and having a family, starting your own business, becoming a big-time executive, or traveling the globe.
“ If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy and inspires your hopes.”
Answer No 2
Well, I am goal-oriented. I have achieved many objectives in my life. Attaining a goal provides me with an interior fulfillment and I realize very proud of myself when I achieve any goal. here I would surely talk about a goal which I achieved when I was in secondary school.
Actually, after completing my 10th grade, I chose physics, chemistry, and maths subjects for my further education. I was good at physics and chemistry but was very weak in mathematics. I used to get very fewer marks in mathematics. So, my parents were worried about that.
My parents wanted me to attain good marks in the final examinations and I did not want to hurt them. After that, I made a goal to achieve good marks in mathematics. I started preparing for my exams and took tuition classes. I lent plenty of time towards mathematics. Finally, the day arrived and I performed well in my exam. The results were supposed to be declared after 2 months from the date of examination.
When the results were declared I was on cloud nine because I cleared the exams with flying colors and scored very good marks in mathematics.
My parents were very happy and they complimented my hard work and dedication. My parents threw me a little party at my home at they invited all my friends. We did a lot of fun and danced together.
Overall, that was the achievement that I accomplished with endeavor and devotion.
Sample answer 3
By burning midnight oil, anyone can achieve whatever he wants. There are many successful people who have attained many things by working hard. I have also achieved many things in a similar way. One of my goals was to reduce stage fear. It is the incident of last year. I don’t know what happened to me, one day, I just decided to conquer my all fears. Stage fear was one of them. In order to reduce it, I decided to take part in the extempore competition. In this, the candidate is required to give a speech on the topic given there and then. I knew that I was not good enough to win that competition because I could not talk on the topic without preparations, but as I already said my goal was not to win the competition but to reduce my stage fear. It really needs guts to speak on stage in front of everyone.
I decided to do so. Thus, I gave my name to the competition. Just before the starting of that contest, I had cold feet. It became difficult for me to continue it and I was thinking of giving up. That time I recalled all those times when I tackled my hurdles and achieved my goals. My friends also encouraged me by saying that it is OK to feel nervous but giving up should never be an option. That time I gathered courage and decided to give a speech on the stage.
Although I was a little bit nervous when it was my turn, I tried my best. Even though I didn’t win the competition that day, the goal of a removing stage fear was accomplished which I set for myself. It influenced positively in my life and now, I don’t feel fear in doing public speaking