Affect vs Effect
Affect is usually a verb , and it means to impact or change.
Effect is usually a noun , an effect is the result of a change.
Difference between the two is so slippery that sometimes people tend to use “ impact” instead.
When to use “Affect”— To affect something is to change or influence it.
If a verb is needed , the word you want is “affect”
- The rain affected Susan’s hairdo.
- The earthquake affected citizens.
- The weather affected our program.
- The argument affected our friendship.
When to use “Effect”—
When noun is required , the word is always “effect”. It means a result.
- Its effect was immediate.
- The effect of being underweight is poor eyesight.
- The special effect used in the movie was thrilling.