IELTS Academic Writing Task 2
In the second part of the IELTS Academic Writing Test, you have to write 250 words. You should spend 40 minutes on this task. Writing Task 2 is worth more than Task 1, so you need to do it well.
For IELTS Writing Task 2, you have to write an essay discussing a topic. You will be given an opinion/ argument, different points of view or a problem to discuss.
Most students prepare phrases for introducing and linking ideas. However, not many students prepare good ideas and opinions for IELTS topics.
An important area to work upon:
How to structure a good Task 2 essay.
Preparation of ideas, opinions and good vocabulary for each IELTS topic.
How to build and link sentences to create coherent paragraphs.
Common mistakes in grammar and word usage.
Little hard work on these areas can make a big difference to your writing score.
Topic vocabulary + linking
Some students wrote a ‘band 7’ paragraph about the benefits of zoos. It was easy: they took my ‘band 7’ vocabulary ideas from This lesson (click here)And wrote their own sentences with good linking.
Here’s the simple structure that my students used:
1. Simple topic sentence.
2.”The main benefit is that…”
3.”Another advantage of zoos is that…”
4.” From a personal point of view,…”
Finally, we wrote a good paragraph together:
Zoos have several benefits. The main benefit is that zoos play an important role in wildlife conservation. They help to protect endangered species, such as pandas or rhinos and allow scientists to study animal behavior. Another advantage of zoos is that they employ large numbers of people, therefore providing job opportunities and income for the local area. Also, the money that zoos make can be used for conservation projects. From a personal point of view, zoos are interesting, educational and fun. They are entertaining for families, and teach children to appreciate wildlife and nature.
IELTS Writing Task 2: health topic (obesity)
- Physical inactivity. …
- Overeating. …
- Genetics. …
- A diet high in simple carbohydrates. …
- Frequency of eating. …
- Medications. …
- Psychological factors. …
- Diseases such as hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Cushing’s syndrome are also contributors to obesity.
Effects of Obesity
- All-causes of death (mortality)
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (Dyslipidemia)
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Coronary heart disease.
- Gallbladder disease.
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint)
- Dietary changes. Share on Pinterest Replacing high-fat foods with more fruits and vegetables can help a person to lose weight. …
- Physical activity. …
- Weight-loss medications. …
- Surgery. …
- Hormonal treatment. …
- Browning white fat cells.