Describe a product made in the region you come from or a popular product from your hometown (SEPTEMBER to DECEMBER 2019)
Describe a product made in the region you come from or a popular product from your hometown
– What it is, how it looks like
– What is it used for
– How is it made
– Explain why your country makes it
• As India is a diverse country, different varieties of products are available in different regions.
• There are many products, which are popular in my hometown which include accessories, clothes and even footwear.
• Many products are used as souvenirs by tourists and many of them are used to gift one another by the local people too.
• One such product which is made in my hometown is ‘Phulkari’ which means flower craft.
• It is usually done on a piece of cloth and this cloth varies in material from silk to georgette .
• Phulkari is done on many items such as a long piece of cloth such as a scarf, or on footwear .
• Many different colours are usually incorporated in it, mainly consisting of bright colours like blue, red and pink. Nowadays it is even done in black and white colours too.
• Sometimes to beautify it mirrors are added and it is made more glittery .
• I would like to tell about phulkari on a long scarf.
• Different colours are symbolic of different occasions like red and blue are usually used by newly wedded brides, pink is mainly for young girls.
• It is a long piece of cloth used by women which is also wide enough to usually cover the shoulders and is also used to cover the head.
• It is also given as a gift.
• It used to be made by hand by craftsmen in earlier times but nowadays modern textiles are also opened which make these.
• It is made of thick fabrics especially a thick cotton fabric, which is kept as a base.
• A certain type of material is selected and then embroidery is done with colourful threads in different patterns.
• Some of these have embroidery all over the cloth while others have it just on the sides.
• It is symbolic of traditional methods of doing craft by the local people and it holds importance in weddings and important occasions.